Days of Taste - AIWF New York
Below are minutes of the Board of Directors of the AIWF Foundation.
Minutes – AIWF Foundation Board Meeting
November 8, 2010
The meeting was called to order at 5:18 pm. Attending were Jackie Allen, Scott Hunt, Drew Jaglom, Lisa Lipton, and Tom Potter. Chris Papagni was absent due to work-related travel.
Jaglom moved to approve the corrected minutes of the June 8, 2010 Board Meeting. Lipton seconded. Passed unanimously.
Potter presented a financial report. He noted that bank balances had held steady since the previous board meeting. The Soltner Fund subtotal is $25,531; the Jackson Education Fund subtotal is $45,408; the general working fund balance is $3,207; for a total balance of $74,146. Allen presented the Foundation with a donation of $1,250, completing her initial pledge of $2,500. The Board unanimously thanked her for her generous support. Hunt moved to accept the finance report; Jaglom seconded. Passed unanimously.
Potter, in Papagni’s absence, brought the Board up to date on the status of the various scholarships that the AIWF Foundation administers.
– Discussion ensued on how the Soltner scholarship might be strengthened, perhaps by awarding it annually if an ongoing funding source could be identified. Potter agreed to discuss the possibility further with the New York chapter and with Papagni, and report back at the next board meeting.
– The new writing scholarships, funded by the Julia Child Foundation and administered by the Food Writers Conference, were discussed. Lipton moved to continue the AIWF’s participation in the scholarships in 2011, should the Julia Child Foundation wish us to do so. Lipton seconded. Passed unanimously.
– Allen reported that the Rhode Island chapter of the AIWF might be looking for an entity to hold the funds for their Tillinghast scholarship, which is administered annually by Johnson & Wales. After discussion, it was agreed that the AIWF Foundation would accept the funds, if the role of the AIWF Foundation were to simply participate in selecting the winner from a screened group of finalists and disburse the funds. Jaglom moved to approve; Allen seconded. Passed unanimously. Allen agreed to contact leadership in the Rhode Island chapter and follow up.
Board membership was discussed. Lipton moved to nominate the slate of Allen and Potter for re-election to 2-year terms. Hunt seconded. Passed unanimously.
Jaglom moved to adjourn the meeting at 6:47 pm. Lipton seconded. Passed unanimously.
Board Meeting 6/8/2010
The meeting was called to order at 10:04 AM. Attending were Jackie Allen, Scott Hunt, Drew Jaglom, Lisa Lipton, Chris Papagni, and Tom Potter.
Papagni moved to approve the minutes of the November 12, 2009 Board Meeting. Allen seconded. Passed unanimously.
Allen moved to approve the Foundation’s bylaws, as amended on February 25, 2010. Papagni seconded. Passed unanimously.
Potter provided an update on Foundation finances. He noted that they remained stable, with increased bank balances due to a Jackson Education Fund donation from the American Distilling Institute, and the transferring of Soltner Scholarship funds from FCI to the Foundation.
Potter provided an update on the Jackson Education fund, and requested approval for funding the project of the internship winner Eileen Martin with up to $2,000 payment for materials and $500 for a stipend. Papagni moved to approve, Lipton seconded. Passed unanimously.
Papagni proposed that he, on behalf of the AIWF Foundation, craft a program to create an audio-visual record of some of the culinary giants associated with Julia Child or were active in her generation. He would seek to coordinate with, and perhaps receive additional funding from, the Julia Child Foundation. Jaglom moved to approve the proposal, Allen seconded. Approved unanimously.
Jaglom moved to close the meeting at 10:34 AM. Papagni seconded. Passed unanimously.
Meeting of the Board of Directors
November 12, 2009
The meeting was held at the International Culinary Center in Manhattan.
Present were all board members: Jackie Allen; Scott Hunt; Drew Jaglom; Lisa Lipton; Christopher Papagni; and Tom Potter.
The meeting was called to order at 5:20 P.M.
The agenda was approved unanimously.
The minutes of the October 13, 2008 meeting were approved unanimously.
Potter presented a financial report, including 2008 statements and current bank balances. He noted that annual administrative expenses in 2009 are currently projected to total approximately $500. Potter and Allen each have agreed to donate an additional $1,250 before the end of their board terms.
2009 Culinary scholarships were discussed.
The logic and logistics of the Foundation paying schools for chapter-generated scholarships was discussed. Hunt, Papagni and Potter were appointed to form a SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE. They will generate a set of guidelines on how to proceed. A completion date of February 2010 was agreed upon. Jaglom will check the policies to make sure they meet legal, tax, and mission guidelines.
Hunt proposed that the Foundation should create its own scholarship, independently of AIWF chapters. Lipton seconded. The Scholarship Committee was tasked with proposing a specific structure by February, to again be vetted by Jaglom. The proposal passed unanimously.
Potter proposed a set of draft bylaws to be considered. They will be posted on the website for comments over the next several weeks. A special meeting of the Board will be scheduled before the end of the year to consider and approve a complete set of bylaws.
Allen proposed re-election of the following directors to 2-year terms: Drew Jaglom; Scott Hunt; and Christopher Papagni. Potter seconded. The slate was approved unanimously.
The meeting was adjourned at 7 PM.
Meeting of the Board of Directors of the AIWF Foundation
October 13, 2008
The meeting was held at the French Culinary Institute in Manhattan.
Attending: Tom Potter, Jackie Allen, Lisa Lipton, Drew Jaglom, Christopher Papagni.
Not attending: Karen Cathey, Mike Neagle, Scott Hunt.
Tom Potter called the meeting to order at 3:15 pm.
Lisa moved the following slate of directors be elected: Tom Potter, 2 year term; Jackie Bergman, 2 year term; Christopher Papagni, 1 year term; Drew Jaglom, 1 year term; Scott Hunt, 1 year term; chair of the AIWF, ex officio. Seconded by Jackie Allen. Approved unanimously.
Lisa Lipton moved the following slate of officers be elected: Tom Potter, Chair; Drew Jaglom, Secretary; Jackie Allen, Treasurer. Seconded by Christopher Papagni. Approved unanimously.
The Board considered and unanimously approved the following:
– Potter is authorized to open a bank account for the Foundation and may sign checks for amounts up to $500 without further Board approval.
– Financial statements for the current year should be compiled but need not be audited. It will consider audits in future years as financial activity grows.
– Potter is to draft general bylaw points to be distributed by email to the Board for review and further discussion.
– Christopher Papagni is to head a Foundation Scholarship Committee, and will work with Potter to develop simple scholarship criteria to guide the establishment of new Foundation scholarships.
– All Board members are to seek possible website developers that might be willing to work for a reduced rate or in return for food world exposure.
The meeting was concluded at 5:45 PM.
First Meeting of the Board of Directors
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
9:30 am EST
Absent from this meeting:
The meeting was called to order at 9:40 AM EST. Discussion on organization and an initial timetable for action ensued.
Drew Jaglom proposed to elect a slate of Officers of:
Karen Cathey and
Tom Potter, Chairman.
The motion was seconded by Lisa Lipton and approved unanimously.
The next meeting may be scheduled to coincide with the summer meeting of the AIWF. Tom Potter will email to board members a proposed date and time by the second week of April.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:10 AM.
Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:
You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Twitter account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out / Change )
You are commenting using your Google+ account. ( Log Out / Change )
Connecting to %s
Notify me of new comments via email.
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.